Federal inmate files $30M lawsuit after being repeatedly assaulted
A federal inmate who was housed at Guam’s Hagåtña Holding Facility is suing the U.S. Government for $30 million, alleging he was brutally assaulted for days while correctional officers failed to step in. Court documents filed in the Dis

A federal inmate who was housed at Guam’s Hagåtña Holding Facility is suing the U.S. Government for $30 million, alleging he was brutally assaulted for days while correctional officers failed to step in. Court documents filed in the District Court of Guam detail claims of beatings, extortion, and a broken jaw that went untreated until he left the island.
Julien Abat Weymouth, through his attorney Thomas Fisher, filed a civil complaint under the Federal Tort Claims Act, accusing the Federal Bureau of Prisons of failing to protect him while he was housed at the Department of Corrections’ Hagåtña Facility in February 2024.
According to the lawsuit, Weymouth says he endured repeated assaults by fellow inmates over the course of more than a week. He claims he was punched, kicked, dragged into his cell, and struck in the face so severely that his jaw was fractured.
Court filings allege that during one attack, multiple inmates took turns hitting him while holding him upright. In another incident, he says a basketball was thrown forcefully at his face, worsening his injuries.
Weymouth contends guards were aware of the violence but failed to intervene or provide medical care. The complaint states that despite visible swelling and bleeding, he did not receive treatment until just days before his transfer off-island.
When he arrived at a federal detention center in Hawaii on March 23, 2024, an x-ray reportedly revealed his jaw had been broken for some time. He later underwent surgery at Queen’s Hospital, where titanium plates were inserted. The lawsuit states he now suffers permanent nerve damage and loss of feeling on one side of his face.
Beyond the physical injuries, Weymouth alleges inmates extorted money from him and his mother and openly used methamphetamine inside the housing unit. The complaint claims correctional staff allowed inmates to “run the cell block,” alleging officers were afraid to confront them.
Weymouth is seeking compensatory damages for physical injury, emotional distress, medical costs, and long-term impacts—demanding $30 million in damages from the federal government.
A summons was issued to the U.S. Attorney’s Office District of Guam on February 17, according to court documents. A summons was also sent by certified mail to the Attorney General of the U.S. as well.
KUAM News reached out to DOC director Fred Bordallo, Jr. for comment and he responded with, "I’ll withhold any comments while this case is in litigation at federal court."
